Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Dead Man's Bones

This past Friday I ventured out (in the rain) to see Dead Man's Bones at Philadelphia's own First Unitarian Church Sanctuary. Dead Man's Bones can also be known as Ryan Gosling's music project that appears to be obsessed with dark subject matter including ghosts, zombies, death and creepy children's choirs.

After waiting about 30 minutes in a GIANT line to get inside we got seated in the pews (this is where the weirdness begins) and waited for the opening acts to begin. These acts consisted of a magician, contortionist, comedian (we think although I missed the humor), three adorable children dancing around (with one dressed as a dog), and a pair of violin-gypsy-opera singers that danced. All of this being narrated by a man dressed as a ghost (sheet and all), wearing a cowboy hat.

Very quirky and bizarre, but that's part of the fun.

Once Dead Man's Bones came on you could tell this was all very new to them. Unsmooth transitions from song to song, sound issues and "whoops let me start that again" but it was a fun show. I will say though I was slightly surprised by the darkness of the content sang about. Let me know what you think.

**Still perfecting the video situation, I do have a video of the show but the sound quality is no bueno**


No comments: